Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Caroline Update (19 months in a few paragraphs)




Caroline is 21 months old now. And our little Caroline is a fighter. She has defied the odds that swirled in our heads for months after we heard them and read them on paper - 85-95% chance of severe mental retardation; "will be great if he/she SITS UP BY 3 YEARS OLD;" probability of death. She is alive and well! She has not had a seizure since November 2009, and she is meeting developmental milestones at a great pace. Her fine motor skills and social skills are pretty much on target. Her verbal skills are a little behind, but we are trying to get her ruled into speech therapy. Her greatest challenge is that she does not walk independently at this point...but she is getting closer everyday! She is cruising on furniture and is poised for takeoff!

Now, we do not know what the future holds for her as far as learning challenges, etc., but who does know what the future holds? The Lord has a special plan for His child, and His grace and mercy have been plentiful in ways that we could not have dreamed possible. We were blessed early with two therapists who work weekly with Caroline. Neither usually have openings for new patients, but just the time we needed them, they both had an opening! Isn't that amazing? Both "our" OT and PT are the most patient and loving people I have ever met. Caroline goes through periods of time where she is resistant to therapy, but they work with her through it without one iota of frustration. And many times, Camille or Misty have probably wanted to bill me for a counseling session. They have seen me at some of my most vulnerable times throughout this process. I really think they love her and care for Caroline (they must to deal with me, some of you might be thinking:)!) - see, when I say we are blessed, I do not mean it lightly.

Most importantly, Caroline is happy! She loves to laugh and has the cutest laugh I've ever heard. I am loving watching her explore and learn..and even test her boundaries.

1 comment:

  1. So glad I had your blog on my blog list-happy to see you have updated it! What sweet photos of Miss C. She is a doll! :)

    ReplyDelete